January 23, 2012
How many times over the past three years have you heard that President Obama is a socialist? Well, you’re probably wrong in your guess, as he’s been accused of that so many times it’s near impossible to keep up with. Unfortunately for the anti-Obama crowd, this is simply another charge where facts are ignored.
Before we go any further, let’s take a look at the basic definition of socialism:
- Any of various economic and political theories advocating collective or governmental ownership and administration of the means of production and distribution of goods.
- A system of society or group living in which there is no private property.
- A system or condition of society in which the means of production are owned and controlled by the state.
Just out today is a report that the Obama White House pressured scientist to underestimate the size of the BP oil spill in 2010. Does that sound socialist to you? To me, it sounds like a President trying to minimize corporate crimes; something we’d expect from the likes of the three leading GOP candidates in the Republican primary.
Not enough, you say, to clear Obama as a socialist? No problem; read on.
Thanks to Crooks and Liars handy work, we have three more facts that don’t support Obama being a socialist. Since Obama took office, the stock market has gone up 54%, with more evidence here; corporate profits are at a 60-year high; and taxes are at a historic low. Still not enough? Alright, then.
- In the past three years America’s oil production has grown more than in any other country, with record growth for oil rigs.
- Wall Street traders have profited more under Obama than in the eight years under Bush.
- In trade talks, Obama made sure big pharmaceuticals companies were protected, at the expense of American workers with NAFTA-style trade policies; which Democratic leaders on the Hill were upset with.
- Obama is a bigger tax cutter than was George W. Bush.
- His new Chief of Staff, Jacob Lew, was instrumental in killing off the union at New York University: “Every single ruthless tactic from the playbook of union-busting was followed at NYU”. And when Democrats on the Hill are glad to see a top cabinet member of a Democratic President hit the road, you know it has to be pretty bad.
- Obama pick GE Chairman and CEO Jeffery Immelt to head his jobs council; the same GE who has shipped more jobs overseas than any other American company, and the same Immelt who said “Our job is to make our ideas his ideas”.
- Obama is now embracing fracking, a very controversial procedure that has proven to contaminate drinking water with deadly levels of natural gas, and in some cases, enough natural gas to light a fire from a kitchen faucet.
- The President has gone a long way to protect criminal bankers from prosecution, and given sweetheart deals to those who were caught with their hand in the cookie jar. Richard Eskow calls it the “Great Gatsby” problem.
- There’s been a record decline of government jobs under Obama.
- Obama has approved 5% fewer regulations than did George W. Bush for the same time period.
- And if his Health Care Reform is so bad for the health care industry, why is the industry giving more campaign money to him than they are to Republicans who want to repeal Obamacare?
Alright, alright! That’s enough! I could go on and on, but there’s no need; the point is well made: President Barack Obama IS NOT a socialist! So let’s get off that liars train and focus on things that really matter like taking America back from corporations and the top one-tenth of the top 1 percent.
Never underestimate the difficulty of changing false beliefs [with] facts.
Economist Henry Rosovsky