Click Image for Larger Popup
All Links Will Open In New Window
Prior to the 2010 election, jobs was the "GOP's number one agenda" - so they claimed (but their actions told a different story). Their rallying cry was "jobs", which was used to justify the extension of the Bush tax cuts for the wealthy. However, as of the writing of this document, we haven't heard one single honest discussion about jobs.
Since the new Congress convened in January 2011, with the Republicans in charge of the House, not one single bill has been introduced that seriously addresses the growing unemployment in our country. But they've certainly addressed dozens of other issues, all of which promote their ideological agenda. As the DCCC put it, the GOP's plan for jobs is to start saying the word "Jobs" more often.
Then, in May 2011, House Republican introduced a bill (PDF) called "JOBS". It stands for "Jobs, Opportunity, Benefits, and Services Act of 2011". Naturally it's being touted by the GOP and their propaganda networks as a bill that will actually stimulate jobs. But it does no such thing!
The bill does nothing more than permit states to use federal unemployment funds for things other than unemployment benefits, such as paying down the states debt.
The GOP has only one jobs plan and it is the same one they've always had: Give corporate America more tax breaks and more taxpayer dollars. Their lastest, as of 2013, is called "The Republican No Cost Jobs Plan". and is from the office of the Republican majority leader, Eric Cantor.
The following is a partial list of bills the Republicans have introduced during the 112th Congress. Some have been passed into law and others were defeated. What you'll notice is there is not one single bill that addresses unemployment.(NOTE: There may be some duplications listed. If so, they are few. However, the intent is to point out the long list of bills submitted by Republicans that is completely absent of any serious jobs bills, which doesn't include the hundreds of House Resolutions put forth by the 112th Congress. If you're not familiar with the difference in Bills and Resolutions, you may want to find out.)
The "Media-Reported" Bills
- House Republicans Have Tried To Eliminate Up To 7.4 Million Jobs In 2011
- John Boehner: This time we're really going to focus on jobs
- Republican 'jobs bills' aren't really jobs bills, according to economists
- Priorities for the new Republican Congress? Rolling back consumer protection for air traveler
- Spending deal to avert shutdown held up by GOP effort to gut Wall Street reform
- House GOP Approves Bill Giving Apache Ancestral Land to Foreign Mining Company
- House Passes Bill To Thwart Obama's Executive Action On Immigration
- With Election Over, First Order Of Business Is $450B In Corporate Tax Breaks
- Departing Rep. Steve Stockman To Leave Congress In A Blaze Of Trolling Glory
- House Republicans introduce bill to defund immigration reform even though there's nothing to defund
- House Passes Bill To Stop EPA From Using 'Secret Science' To Craft Pollution Rules
- House GOP Re-Ups O-Care Repeal Bill After Big Election Wins
- Senate Republican Leaders Introduce Bill That Would Permanently Hobble Federal Labor Law
- GOP Priorities: House Votes to Deregulate Wall St, Keep Citizens United But Votes AGAINST Equal Pay for Women
- House Passes 'Needs Not Weed' Act Stigmatizing Welfare Recipients As Druggies
- For the first time in US history, House Officially Votes 225-201 to Sue President Obama to impliment Obamacare faster after they've opposed the bill for 5 years.
- House Republicans Pass Bill to Lower Taxes on the Rich and Raise Taxes on the Poor
- House Votes To Gut Tax Benefit For Low-Income Immigrant Families
- David Vitter's Deportation Proposal Could Require More Planes Than There Are on Earth
- House Republicans successfully ban funding for canceled White House renovation, so take that, Obama
- Sam Graves to EPA: Stop your aggression and quit enforcing your rules
- House GOP Unveils Bill To Block Obama's Climate Change Rules
- Congressional Republicans File Brief Opposing Union Rights For College Athletes
- GOP-led House quietly eliminates annual disclosure requirement for lobbyist-sponsored travel
- These 204 Republicans Don't Want to Punish Companies That Steal Workers' Wages
- Latest House Tax Bill Prioritizes Credit for Affluent Over Working-Poor Families
- Ted Cruz Introduces Bill That Would Eliminate All Limits On Campaign Donations
- Repeal and replace: it's back, sort of
- House Republicans Just Passed a Bill Denying Something 99% of Scientists Agree On
- House Committee Passes On Measure Calling For 'Vote Of Disapproval' On Iran Nuclear Deal
- House GOP Bill Would Stop Eric Holder From Getting Paid
- House Republicans find something else to name after Ronald Reagan
- House Republicans pass Paul Ryan's Obamacare and Medicare-ending budget
- House Passes Bill Requiring Agencies To Put Climate Change On The Back Burner
- House Republicans to hold vote on yet another way to yank health coverage from workers